JobKeeper changes that have passed Parliament!
It can be extremely difficult to keep up with the constant changes that COVID-19 keeps throwing at us. We are here to make life easier, not harder.
The Australian Government has made changes to the JobKeeper eligibility criteria. The Government has argued that it is time to start reducing the number of Australian’s and businesses on the scheme.
These further changes were announced to the JobKeeper scheme last week. Legislation passed by the Parliament has resulted in JobKeeper payments lasting until March 2021.
The changes you need to know about payments are below.
If you were working for at least 20 hours before JobKeeper was introduced:
- The JobKeeper rate is dropping from September 28th to $1,200 a fortnight
- The rate will drop further to $1,000 at the beginning of January 2021
If you were a part-timer before JobKeeper was introduced:
- The JobKeeper rate will drop to $750 a fortnight from September 28th
- The rate will drop further to $650 at the beginning of January 2021
In addition, how has JobKeeper 2.0 affected businesses and what are the changes?
The first release of the JobKeeper scheme saw only full time, part-time or casuals employed on a long-term basis prior to March 1st 2020 benefit. If you did not fit this category, you did not receive JobKeeper.
There has recently been a law passed by the Australian Government that has changed that eligibility date from March 1st 2020 to July 1st 2020.
So, you may be asking, what does all of this mean?
- Any new full-time or part-time employees employed between 1 March 2020 and 1 July 2020 will now also be eligible to receive JobKeeper payments.
- Any long-term casuals will be eligible so long as they have been employed longer than 12 months between the 1 March 2020 and 1 July 2020.
- Employees who turned 18 between 1 March 2020 and 1 July 2020 will now also become eligible.
What does this mean for you?
You will need to review your workforce and ensure that these changes do not effect any of your employees.
This year has meant that there are constant changes to the way your business needs to run, so if you are having any doubts or need any clarification on parts ensure you get in touch with us!
Angela and the Seamless Bookkeeping team x